you're reading...
Life, Technology

Waterproof cell phone?

Samsung Rugby 2

So, a while back I traded in my iPhone 4 for a Samsung Rugby 2.  I did this for a couple reasons.  One was to get rid of the constant distraction the iPhone is.  Don’t get me wrong, it’s a great phone.  For me though it was a distraction I felt was making me less attentive to my family.  The second reason was the Rugby 2 is a tough phone built to military specs.  A month or so ago I took it to a friend’s pool and snapped a few pictures of my kids underwater.  How awesome is that?

Well yesterday on the fourth of July we were at this friend’s house again.  And so I took some pictures of the boys splashing at me and a couple more under the water.  It took fantastic pictures (I would post but I don’t want to put pictures of my kids on line, I’m weird that way).  I set it on a table and then swam some more.  Then an hour and a half or so later I picked up the phone and my wife and I looked at some of the pictures and a friend texted me.  All was right with the world.  I set it back on the table and went about my business.  My friend turned his mist system on.  I didn’t think much of it, after all my phone had been in the pool.

Well after an hour or so under the mister my phone is now dead.  I opened it up and it was wet inside and the little white square that indicates water damage was bright red.  So, how does going in the pool not kill it but sitting on a table for an hour do it in?  Logically the mist couldn’t do it if the pool didn’t, but then logically if it was OK an hour and a half after being in the pool it shouldn’t go bad after that.  And I’ve seen these phones take much more abuse than I put mine through.  It’s almost as if someone opened it up got it wet and then closed it again, but someone wouldn’t do that, right?  It’s too bad though, I really liked that phone.

UPDATE: 7/6/2012 5:39 PM
Yesterday after work I decided to see if the phone would power back up.  I had tried in the morning with no luck but I figured what the hell.  So it powered up.  After a day of using it again it seems to be fine.  That is awesome because I really like the phone.  I may be a bit more careful with it but at least I still have it.



No comments yet.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s


Enter your email address to follow this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 144 other followers

%d bloggers like this: